About Me

My photo
Tampa Bay, Florida, United States
A bar of chocolate, a soak in the bath, a nap in the afternoon, a leisurely stroll in the park ... these are a few of my favorite things. They make me happy. I am a self-confessed chocoholic ... a chocolate fiend. I need to (make that must) eat chocolate every day. I have strong opinions about chocolate but, of course, I have strong opinions about almost everything. There are some things I have no opinion at all, but if I have an opinion, it's a strong opinion. Grab a piece of chocolate, sit for a spell and be delighted by the taste, aroma and sensation of a way of life.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I voted!

Voting is a civil right and it is the foundation of democracy. Many people around the world have no say - no vote - in who governs them. Believe it or not, every single vote really does count. It's possible that this November 4 will go down in history as having the highest nationwide voter turnout. Yes, it is true that the President of the United States is elected by the Electoral College, not by popular vote. The framers of the U.S. Constitution created the Electoral College as a compromise between electing the president by popular vote or by members of Congress. The compromise was to set up an Electoral College system that allowed voters to vote for electors, who would then cast their votes for candidates, a system described in Article II, section 1 of the Constitution. Each state's U.S. senators (two) plus the state's U.S. representatives (number determined by population) are part of the Electoral College and cast their state's electoral votes. Most of the time, electors cast their votes for the candidate who has received the most votes in that particular state. Some states have laws that require electors to vote for the candidate that won the popular vote, while other electors are bound by pledges to a specific political party. However, there have been times when electors have voted contrary to the people's decision, and there is no federal law or Constitutional provision against it. Truly, every vote counts.

1 comment:

  1. I voted too! Interesting about the Electoral College. I understand that there is an effort to get rid of the College and have the President elected by the Popular Vote.

    ReplyDelete