About Me

My photo
Tampa Bay, Florida, United States
A bar of chocolate, a soak in the bath, a nap in the afternoon, a leisurely stroll in the park ... these are a few of my favorite things. They make me happy. I am a self-confessed chocoholic ... a chocolate fiend. I need to (make that must) eat chocolate every day. I have strong opinions about chocolate but, of course, I have strong opinions about almost everything. There are some things I have no opinion at all, but if I have an opinion, it's a strong opinion. Grab a piece of chocolate, sit for a spell and be delighted by the taste, aroma and sensation of a way of life.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I have a Chocolate Tooth

Several studies have been done on the effect of chocolate on tooth decay. One study conducted at the Eastman Dental Center showed that while chocolate does contain sugar, it contains certain phosphates and other minerals which minimizes the effect of the sugar. The Center further reported that the protein, calcium and phosphate content in milk chocolate may provide protective effects on tooth enamel. Additional studies at Forsyth Dental Center showed that chocolate has the ability to off-set the acid-producing potential of the sugar it contains. Acids, produced by certain oral bacteria that digest or ferment the sugars, may damage tooth enamel and cause decay. A study conducted at Osaka University (Japan) showed that there are antibacterial agents in cacao that actually counteract tooth decay. Therefore, chocolate is one of the least likely desserts to cause cavities. Get rid of your sweet tooth and get yourself a chocolate tooth!

No comments:

Post a Comment